If you or your child has been recommended for braces treatment, it’s normal to feel nervous or unsure about what to expect. Braces can significantly improve your smile and oral health, but having metal brackets and wires in your mouth for months or years can be daunting. The good news is that braces treatment can be a positive and rewarding experience with the correct information and mindset. At Mountain View Orthodontics in Alamogordo, New Mexico, we are here to provide various braces treatments for our patients in need of smile improvements.
Types of Braces We Offer at Mountain View Orthodontics
Several types of braces are available, each with its advantages and disadvantages. The braces treatments we provide at our office include:
Metal braces are the most traditional and recognizable, consisting of metal brackets attached to the teeth and connected by wires. They are durable and effective but can be more noticeable than other types.
If you want to improve your smile’s alignment, then Invisalign may be right for you. Invisalign is a popular alternative to traditional braces that involves wearing a series of clear plastic aligners that gradually shift the teeth into the desired position. Invisalign is virtually invisible and is removable when eating, brushing, and flossing. Invisalign is an excellent way to improve your smile in full discreteness!
Clear Ceramic Braces
Clear ceramic brackets are a popular choice in orthodontic treatment for individuals seeking a more discreet alternative to traditional metal braces. Made from a translucent material, these brackets blend in with the natural color of the teeth, making them significantly less noticeable. Clear ceramic brackets work in the same way as metal braces, applying gentle pressure to move teeth into the desired position over time. They offer an aesthetically pleasing option for those who may feel self-conscious about wearing braces, especially in social or professional settings.
The Process for Braces Treatments
The braces treatment process typically involves several steps, including:
The first step is scheduling a consultation with Dr. Elliot Saperstein, during which he will assess your teeth and determine the best treatment plan. Dr. Saperstein will take X-rays, impressions, and photos to create a customized treatment plan.
Once Dr. Saperstein finalizes the treatment plan, you will receive the braces, with them being placed on the teeth. Placement involves:
- Cleaning and preparing the teeth.
- Applying bonding glue.
- Attached are the brackets and wires.
If you decide to receive Invisalign, you will get impressions taken for your custom-made Invisalign aligners. The aligners will fit over your teeth and will slowly shift your teeth into alignment over several weeks. They will need to be worn for at least twenty hours a day.
Adjustments for Traditional Braces
Throughout the treatment period, your braces will receive adjustments to ensure that the teeth are shifting properly. Traditional braces may involve:
- Tightening or loosening the wires.
- Replacing elastics.
- Making other changes as needed.
The braces will be removed once the treatment is complete and the teeth are in their new positions. Removal of the braces involves removing the bonding glue and brackets and using a special tool to polish the teeth.
Maintenance for Your Braces
Proper maintenance is crucial for getting the most out of your braces treatment and keeping your teeth healthy, including:
- Brushing and flossing regularly: you must be extra diligent about dental hygiene while wearing braces, as food particles and plaque can easily become trapped around the brackets and wires. Use a soft-bristled brush and floss threaders to clean between the wires and teeth.
- Avoiding certain foods: hard, sticky, or crunchy foods can damage the braces or get stuck in them, so it’s best to avoid anything that could cause problems.
- Attending regular check-ups: we can monitor your progress and adjust as needed, so attend all scheduled appointments.
Benefits of Braces Treatment
Braces treatment offers numerous benefits, including:
- Improved oral health: straighter teeth are easier to clean and less prone to cavities, gum disease, and other health issues.
- Better bite: misaligned teeth and bites can cause jaw pain, headaches, and other problems. Braces can improve your bite and relieve these issues.
- Enhanced self-confidence: a beautiful, straight smile is a confidence booster and can help you feel more comfortable in social situations.
Braces Treatment in Alamogordo, NM
Braces treatment can be a positive and life-changing experience. By understanding the types of braces available, the steps involved, and how to properly maintain them, you can feel prepared and confident throughout the process. If you are considering braces treatment, schedule an appointment with Dr. Elliot Saperstein at Mountain View Orthodontics and start the journey to a healthier, happier smile.